Excerpts from the History
In 1899 a
group of pastors and church leaders met at Queen Street Baptist Church in
Hampton, VA to organize the Tidewater Peninsula Baptist Association. Rev. C. A.
Green was elected Moderator and Dr. J.M. Dawson was elected Secretary.
represented at that meeting were:
Grafton Baptist-Harris Grove, Queen Street BC Hampton, Zion Baptist
Newport News, FB East End Newport News, FB Williamsburg, FB Jefferson Ave.
Newport News, Shiloh BC Yorktown, New Bethel BC York County, Ebenezer BC
Hampton, FB Morrison Newport News, Cary’s BC York County, Mt. Gilead BC
Williamsburg, FB Lambert’s Pt. Norfolk, FB Gloucester, Zion Popular Gloucester,
and Mt. Ararat BC Williamsburg.
objectives were a commitment to support VA Theological Seminary and College
(now University of Lynchburg), assist in sending missionaries into home and
foreign fields for preaching and teaching the gospel and raising funds for
churches and Sunday Schools. Later these
objectives were structured and defined to read:
“To encourage, support and promote Christian Evangelism, Christian
Missions, Christian Education, Christian Stewardship and other Christian
programs and ideals.”
Auxiliaries, Departments and Boards enable the Association to carry out its
Mission and Ministry to the betterment of its objectives, increases fellowship
among member churches and give glory and honor to God.
have grown from seventeen charter churches to forty-five member churches. Through their collective efforts we are able
to continue to work and serve to the glory of God and the edification of His